The first permanent men had a day off in seven which was about 144 hours on duty each week. The town accepted the two platoon law which reduced the hours to 84 each week and in 1948 further reduced the hours until the men are now working 70 hours each week. Looking east up Pauline St. to old Town Hall and First Methodist Church spire in background. Prior to 1900, a police officer on patrol, when he needed to communicate with the police station, went to the nearest public or private telephone. In 1901 or 1902, the town placed their own telephones on electric light poles for the use of the police.
The benefits of evening school have been offered to local adults for many years, long under the supervision of Walter H. Donahue. Expansion to include arts and crafts and English besides the usual business subjects took place in the 30’s. Americanization classes were transferred to the Shirley Street School in charge of its principal, Preston L. Chase until the need diminished with the advent of federal government classes for aliens in 1942.
Since neither food or shelter were provided, it became the Christian duty of Winthrop people to do what could be done, especially upon James Bill and Major Edward Gibbons who at the time were conducting farming operations on the island. No record has ever been found of any resident of Pullen Point serving in these «Indian Wars». Castle Island, across the Harbor, belonged to the Colony and State until ceded to the United States in 1798. In 1634, Boston sought to protect itself by erecting a fort of earthen banks on the Island. This was followed by one of stout pine logs which in turn was followed by one of brick. In 1634, the fort was abandoned but the next year the Frenchman, La Tour, previously mentioned, gave Boston a bad scare and the fort was rebuilt. In 1701 a really substantial fort of brick was put up and named Castle William, for the time it was adequate.
Streetcars In East Boston
Work was started on the building in the early part of June, a one-story clubhouse was completed August 2, 1911. All piles and sills for the building were donated by Charles Rogers. The clubhouse was totally destroyed by fire in the early thirties, to make it the third yacht club in the town to be so ruined. The first annual club meeting was held in the Town Hall on July 14, 1903, and the club had, at that time, 291 members. Through the efforts of Commodore William D. Allen, Vice-Commodore Samuel C. L. Haskell and Treasurer Edgar H. Whitney the spirits of the members were not allowed to droop; a new and better building must be built. Willard M. Bacon was chosen by the members of the Board of Directors to be the architect for the new clubhouse.
Armed with swords, the Vikings, who were the best fighting men of Europe at the time, were no match for the savages — who probably overwhelmed the Norsemen by sheer force of numbers and thus extinguished the colonies, or colony. Certainly, after the experience of the Vikings, Europeans had a healthy respect for the red men. The development of Winthrop out of farms to homes was made possible, by the establishment of transportation. Steamers plied for a Drug rehabilitation time between the town and the city, but primarily it was the railroad which made the town’s metamorphosis directly possible. Today the rails have been torn up and private cars and the bus line, feeding the Rapid Transit system at Orient Heights carry the load. Few communities are so thoroughly emptied of mornings and so filled up again at night in two brief peak loads as is Winthrop. sooner or later and Winthrop has remained practically industryless.
This proved to be a very difficult matter for Rumney Marsh, whose children were scattered from the tip of Point Shirley to Reading and from Malden to Lynn. At the Center, which was at the present corner of Beach and School Streets? How then could young children come in from Black Anne’s Corner at one extremity and from Point Shirley at the other? School there had to be Sober companion but apparently, the matter was never satisfactorily settled. There was a good enough school at Revere Center beginning about 1708 when the Selectmen of Boston hired Thomas Cheever to teach school at his home. He was an exceptional young man; graduating from Harvard at the age of 19. He taught reading, writing and arithmetic to an average of about 22 scholars a year.
eco sober house
This included the Major Gibbons house and farm buildings at Thornton Park to be. It happened at this time that Dorothie Bill, relict of John Bill, who came to Boston about 1638, was living at the home of her brother, the same Richard Tuttle. She had a son, James, who was very active in purchasing land at Winthrop. The property passed for several years successively down through his children and grandchildren and their issue Alcohol detoxification until it was acquired by Governor James Bowdoin through a mortgage transaction. In 1790, at Bowdoin’s death, his daughter, Elizabeth, Lady Temple, wife of Sir John Temple, became the owner. Lady Temple willed the property to her daughter, Elizabeth Temple Winthrop, wife of Tyndal Winthrop, son of Governor John Winthrop of Connecticut. Thus after about a century, the property once again came back to the Winthrops.
Winthrop Beach station, looking south to Cottage Hill and Washington Ave. bridge built 1883. The men at the Center, somewhat chagrined because the Beach had taken effective action first, met February 17 and organized their own fire company with Webb Richardson the foreman and Benjamin Tappan Floyd and D. The Center company, seeking revenge upon the Beach group, alleged that the Beach had acted improperly in naming their hose cart for a living person and so named their cart for a person who never even existed — «Governor Bartlett». The name was duly and beautifully painted on the side of the vehicle. Thus Winthrop’s Fire Department may be said to have come into being in 1885 with two volunteer hose companies. Of course it was alleged that a firebug was loose in town such frequently happens when several unexplained fires occur.
Like the high school buildings, old and new, it was designed by Willard M. Bacon, who also planned the Frost Library and the Center Fire Station. Its clock was the gift of Edward B. Newton; in whose honor the school was named. He was the chairman of the school board for seventeen years until his death https://sober-home.org/ in 1911. Ervine D. Osborne, returning to the principalship after three years’ absence, adopted a plan of afternoon sessions for high school students needing consultation and make-up work. Athletics assumed importance, Winthrop soon developing champions in the popular new game of basketball.
The summer of 1878 was also important as marking the beginning of the development of Great Head into house lots. The roomy period the Tewksbury family had so long enjoyed had ended, once the railroad reached the Head. A tent city sprung up around the Tewksbury houses and cottages were built, in increasing numbers as the years went along. Indeed, the name of Cottage Hill was given to what had always been called Great Head. In 1878, John Wingate Thornton, prominent genealogist and writer, died.
Here, parenthetically, Dr. Samuel Ingalls was killed June 11, the man responsible for the development of Ocean Spray, the man that developed also the railroad which killed him. three years, resigned as president and left the directors to do the best they might with the railroad. It was operating successfully when he quit but it soon after fell upon evil times and was eventually abandoned.
Boston Massacre Obituary
The Winthrop Branch of the Boston, Revere Beach and Lynn Railroad was built. Narrow Gauge Railroad (3 ft.) built from Orient Heights into Winthrop and slowly extended to Pt. Boston, Revere Beach & Lynn Railroad built — Boston to Lynn passing near Winthrop at Orient Heights, then called Winthrop Junction. For the second time the majority of population swings to the Point. Bridge from Main St., Winthrop to Saratoga St., Orient Heights built, . First bridge from Noddles Island built to main land — connecting from her Chelsea Street to our Eastern Avenue.
This all but forgotten group was a sort of improvement society for the Winthrop Beach area and had extended itself to cover Cottage Hill as development there began. It looked after the physical condition of the area, such as their annual cleaning bee when they collected all waste and discarded materials both from the beach and from all the houses. (There was no town ash collecting service, then.) Probably they had considerable political influence also, for any organized group is always respected by officials seeking election or wishing to retain public office. They ran various types of «better class» entertainments and frequent clambakes. At these the emphasis was always placed upon «decency and decorum» and everyone seems to have had a good time.